Posted By pinewood on 19 July 2017
Honey is one the most healing natural foods available to humans to this day, yet instead of using honey to sweeten foods, we have gotten into the habit of sweetening our foods with sugar instead. Although honey contains glucose, it is not as harmful as the white refined sugar that we consume every day.
The Health Benefits of Eating Honey
Consuming honey has many health benefits:
- When it eaten it turns into hydrogen peroxide, which is a safe, internal disinfectant
- It is a natural antibacterial substance, that is so potent it is capable of fighting off severe infections such as staphylococcus aureous
- It is naturally anti-fungal and fights yeast infections such as candida albicans
- It is a natural source of nitreous oxide, which helps your body fight off free radicals and the kind of cell oxidization that can lead to camera
- It is a mild decongestant, that when eaten straight from a spoon or heated in a mug mixed with water and lemons helps to eliminate mucus an congestion from the lungs
- Honeycomb, when eaten in small amounts (an ounce crumbled on oatmeal or salad) can help heal fatty liver disease
- Both honey and honeycomb can help unclog arteries choked with cholesterol
- Honey from New Zealand called Manuka honey can help heal stomach ulcers
How to Add More Honey to Your Diet
Honey is one of those food ingredients that you can be very creative with, as it goes with both savory and sweet foods, and you can start off by thinking of it as a replacement for sugar in your diet. You can:
- Stir it into fruit
- Add it to salad dressings
- Drizzle it over fruit
- Mix it into any oatmeal or cereal
- Add it to a smoothie
- Use it in youf coffee, tea or hot chocolate instead of sugar
The Cosmetic Benefits
Honey also has quite a few cosmetic benefits:
When applied to the skin alone or in a cosmetic product, honey acts as a mild humectant that draws moisture to surface skin. It is also rich in Vitamin A, which can help clear up blemishes as well smooth the skin. It is also a non-comodogenic substance, which means that it won’t clog pores. It is particularly good for drying out and disinfecting skin that is plagued with acne breakouts.
You can add honey to a conditioner, commercial mask, and cream or clay mask product to enhance its benefits. A simple mask to enhance the complexion can be made by mixing a tablespoon of honey with a ¼ cup of yogurt and then leaving it on your face for about fifteen minutes. The sugars in the honey and the yogurt will serve to smooth and tighten your complexion.
Tips on Buying Honey
Basically there are two types of honey on the market, filtered and unfiltered, with over 75% of the products sold being the pasteurized type. You want to buy raw, unpasteurized honey whenever possible because filtered honey is missing the high amounts of B vitamins, protein and cancer fighting polyphenols and enzymes that are in raw honey.
Avoid buying honey that is made in China as it is often adulterated with additives and pure corn syrup, which basically poor sugar. To be on the safe side, buy honey from your local farmer’s market or that is from North America, Australia, New Zealand or the Americas.
Very important – Note that should NEVER be given to children who are less than one year old as they do not have the immunity in place to fight off a spore in honey that can cause botulism.
Unfortunately honey that is actually labeled organic is quite rare as for the most part, all honey is considered to be organic. However reading labels can help you buy a honey that is not diluted with corn syrup or preservatives that can cause diabetes or cancer
For more information about healing foods or diet, reversing fatty liver disease, or to book a consultation about eating naturopathic testing, weight-gain programs, iv therapy or any health issue you may be experiencing, visit the Pinewood Natural Healthcare Centre website that has a list of full services and products at www.pinewoodhealth.caor call our Toronto Office at (416)-656- 8100. We also have an office in Pickering, Ontario at (905)-427-0057. You can also email us at email@example.com and we would be happy to answer any question that you have about our holistic health services.