Posted By pinewood on 23 November 2017
Organic asparagus is now widely available in every season so you now have every reason to take advantage of the supremely nutritious, detoxifying and metabolism-boosting properties of this vegetable. It is the ideal everyday food for individuals trying to lose weight reduce bloating and keeps their kidneys healthy.
The Asparagus Story
Asparagus is a common garden vegetable, but exotic versions also grow wild and can be foraged in some areas of the world. Asparagus has long been recognized for its nutritious qualities and it was served up as a delicacy to ancient Greeks and Romans.
White asparagus, by the way, is not really white. These delicate looking spears result when farmers cover emerging shirts with dirt to prevent them from turning green. When shaded from the light the asparagus spear develops a delicate taste that is reminiscent of mushrooms. The very youngest of the shoots tend to be purple or reddish in color.
Eating asparagus every day couldn’t be easier. Steam it until it is soft and then season with salt, pepper and then add a bit of lemon juice or vinegar. You also broil it or cook it with a bit of water for about three minutes in the microwave. Chopped cold asparagus can be added to salads and you can also make a great asparagus soup in your blender using cashew milk or real milk, a bit of broth and seasonings.
Reasons to Eat Asparagus
Asparagus has the overall effect of boosting your metabolism because it is such an effective cleanser and bodybuilder. Here is a quick look at the many benefits of consuming this vegetable.
- Asparagus is the ideal diet food. Just 100 grams, or about six medium-sized spears, provides just 20 calories while at the same time providing high amounts of fiber and vitamins.
- Asparagus cleans out the digestive and cardiovascular systems. Asparagus contains dietary fiber cleans the colon, decreases LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and helps balance blood sugar.
- Asparagus is rich in folates and B vitamins. Folates speed up the metabolism by helping cell DNA in cells breathe and regenerate themselves and asparagus shoots are one of the few vegetables to contain a complete B-vitamin complex.
- Asparagus is also very high in antioxidants. The shoots provide about 35% of the RDA of Vitamin K and high amounts of the synergistic combination of A, C and E.
- Asparagus is high in minerals. The young shoots are especially rich in copper, iron, calcium, potassium, manganese, and phosphorus.
Finally, realize that this is an alkaline food that helps balance out the kind of acidosis in your system that can cause disruptions to your metabolism and weight gain. The vegetables fibrous bulk acts like a little broom, sweeping out all debris out of your colon so it can operate more efficiently.
For more information about Toronto weightloss nutrition or to book a consultation about anti-aging, naturopathic testing,
or any health issue you may be experiencing, visit the Pinewood Natural Healthcare Centre website that has a list of full services and products at www.pinewoodhealth.ca or call our Toronto Office at (416)-656- 8100. We also have an office in Pickering, Ontario at (905)-427-0057. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to answer any question that you have about our holistic health services.