Posted By pinewood on 9 April 2019
Blueberries are one of the healthiest fruits you can eat with multiple health benefits, and they are available all year round here in Canada. Even though they are often found baked into desserts, it is best to eat them raw or juiced as this helps your body absorb the fruit’s nutrients.
1. Blueberries have powerful antioxidants. The antioxidants are renowned for their natural capabilities in helping prevent many different kinds of cancer. According to a study on dark berries in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the fruits also contain flavonoids – phenolic compounds that can help reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Among the most powerful of these antioxidants are anthocyanins, which help the entire body work properly to fight against the free radicals and other foreign compounds that cause cancer.
2. Blueberries are rich in fiber. Fiber can help regulate bowel movements and help keep your gut bacteria in a healthy state of motility, meaning that you will eliminate your bowels more frequently.
3. Blueberries can help slow down the development of age-related macular degeneration. A recent study of baby boomers between the ages of 45-65 years old showed that nutrients in blueberries such as vitamins C and E, β-carotene, zinc, lutein, zeaxanthin, and the omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid can help prevent diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, and age-related macular degeneration.
4. Blueberries are rich sources of phytonutrients that are responsible for keeping the eyes healthy. Due to the active properties, flavonoids, and anthocyanins, as well as the other vitamins and minerals, blueberries can help delay visual loss. Three or more daily servings of fruits containing phytonutrients are enough to help prevent you from getting as many eyesight problems as you get older. The fruits can also help prevent glaucoma and cataracts.
5. Blueberries are a great food for dieters. There are only about 80 calories in one cup of blueberries and they are practically fat-free. You can also add blueberries to yogurt, cereals or desserts to add a sweet flavor. The fiber in blueberries can also help you control your weight.
6. Blueberries can help fight urinary tract infections (UTIs). According to a study done at the University of Maryland Medical center, half of the healthy women will experience this type of infection at least once in their lifetime. The compounds found in blueberries help the urinary tract ward off bacteria, but for this to work, you need to eat them raw.
7. Blueberries can help boost brain function. A study has shown that the phytonutrients, especially the anthocyanins in blueberries can help prevent memory loss and even help the elderly retrieve lost memories.
Would you like to adopt a more natural diet and active lifestyle that better supports your health? Here at the Pinewood Natural Healthcare Centre in Toronto and in Pickering, we offer much different weight loss and anti-aging therapies, as well as advice on nutrition. Our website -www.pinewoodhealth.ca offers many different approaches to improving your health and preventing disease including diet advice, weight loss programs, iv vitamin therapy, mesotherapy, organ cleansing protocols, hypnotherapy, and acupuncture. You can also call our Toronto Office at (416)-656- 8100. We also have an office in Pickering, Ontario at (905)-427-0057. Send an email to email@example.com and we would be pleased to answer any question that you have about our holistic health services.