Posted By pinewood on 6 August 2019
Here are some simple holistic tips for taking care of your skin to prevent or heal it from being traumatized by the extreme summer heat.
1. Stay hydrated. When the forecast calls for extreme heat make sure you are drinking as much water as you can possibly swallow to keep your skin tissues from becoming dehydrated. This helps your skin to retain its plumpness and resiliency and hydrated skin always looks younger.
2. Avoid using too much product. In the summertime, the profuse sweating we do alone is enough to cause breakouts and skin irritation. This is the time of year when you might want to lighten up a bit on the use of heavy cream-based moisturizers and use lighter water-based serums and lotions instead.
3. Avoid washing your face too much. If your face feels, sweaty, oily or greasy it is a bad idea to wash it too much as, paradoxically, this can provoke the oil-producing glands in your skin to produce too much sebum, which can lead to breakouts and shiny skin.
4. Use a toner to clean your skin. If you have acne or frequent breakouts, avoid alcohol-based toners, otherwise it is a great idea for all skin types to use a toner to refresh the skin and declog pores every day.
5. Eat foods rich in Vitamin A. Vitamin A is rich in beta-carotene, an antioxidant that fiercely fights to age, because it provokes the body to produce collagen. Vitamin A is a nutrient in all kinds of summer produce including carrots, peppers, berries, cantaloupe, squash, kale, collards, Swiss chard, spinach, and Romaine lettuce.
6. Give your face a lymphatic massage. It is very easy to accomplish a DIY lymphatic massage. You do not cream or lotion for this, just use the tips of your fingers and massage lightly. Massage your face from the base of the neck up to the cheeks and forehead, moving in tight circles up to the sides of the eyes. Then reverse the procedure and massage downwards towards your neck and underarm area to help draw waste away from your skin and through to the lymphatic system.
7. Get enough rest. Take advantage of the fact that the summer heat causes you to feel sleepy. Long hours of rest help your skin repair itself. The night is also the time to apply light healing serums and anti-aging products to your face. If you want to look young, then make sure you get at least 7 to 10 hours of sleep every night.
Finally and most importantly, never skip The Broad Spectrum Sunscreen. Photoaging causes 90% of wrinkles which is why you must wear a sunscreen of at least 30 SPF or higher on your face. You can get away with 15% SPF elsewhere on your body. Read labels before you buy sunscreen to make sure that the product is truly “broad spectrum” meaning that it protects from both UVA and UVB rays.
For more information about healthy, organic skincare, Toronto weight loss or to book a consultation about anti-aging, naturopathic testing, weight loss programs or any health issue you may be experiencing, visit the Pinewood Natural Healthcare Centre website that has a list of full services and products at www.pinewoodhealth.ca or call our Toronto Office at (416)-656- 8100. We also have an office in Pickering, Ontario at (905)-427-0057. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to answer any question that you have about any of the many services that we offer including iv vitamin drip therapy, infrared blood analysis, acupuncture, mesotherapy, homeopathy, and other naturopathic services.